It is very important to our mission at Chautauqua Visual Arts to be able to share as many resources with you as possible. Thus, we have created a space to do just that, so artists may continue to sustain their creative lives. Our blog will also feature “of the moment” resources, too.
If you have resources you would like to share, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to add them to this page! Thanks for visiting and happy researching!
Blogs, Publications, Podcasts
Magazine style & group art blogs
The Art Blog
Art in America
The Art Market Monitor
The Art Newspaper
Art Observed (now primarily a reblog)
Bad at Sports
Beyond the Studio
Big Red and Shiny (new!)
MOMA Magazine (new!)
The Performance Club (new!)
Portland Art (new!)
Printersting, John Pyper (new!)
Spoon and Fork
Two Coats of Paint
We Make Money Not Art
White Hot Magazine
Contemporary Art Daily – image only blog
Cultural Reproducers – for parents
Active single author blogs
About Last Night, Terry Teachout
Art Blog Art Blog, Joshua Abelow
The Art Law Blog, Donn Zaretsky
Art Law Office, Sergio Muñoz Sarmiento
Art Sucks, Coco Art Juggernaut
Blake Gopnik (Also published on artnet News)
Culture Grrl (Began on Blogspot, but quickly moved to Arts Journal)
Greg.org, Greg Allen
HaberArts, John Haber
I Like This Art, Jordan Tate
In Terms Of, Christopher Howard (new!)
Jerry Magoo (Group blog run by artists)
Joanie Gagnon San Chirico
Lorna Mills and Sally McKay
The Modern Art Notes Podcast, Tyler Green
Newgrist, Joy Garnett
Real Clear Arts, Judith Dobrzynski
Tom Moody (plus archives)
Online art journals & non-profits
Art F City
The Arts Fuse
The Brooklyn Rail
New American Paintings
Temporary Art Review
Temporary Land Bridge
Blogs updated infrequently
A Year of Positive Thinking, Mira Schor
Art Vent, Carol Diehl
Dave Harper (formerly Nobody’s Diary)
Heart as Arena, Brent Burket
Not if but When
Painter’s Bread, Dennis Ferns, Jered Sprecher, Michael Rutherford
Picture This, Bob Duggan
Speed of Life, Gregg Chadwick
Star Wars Modern, John Powers
Joanne Matera (archived)
Anaba, Martin Bromirski
The Ben Street, Ben Street
A Blog Called Nowhere, Nicole Eisenman (archive)
Bloggy, Barry Hoggard (archived)
Burn Your Eyes Clean, Wil Murray (archived)
Deborah Fisher (archive)
Evolving Critic, Anulfo Baez
Forward Retreat, Sarah Hromack
From the Floor, Todd Gibson (archived)
Hatchers and Skewers (archived)
Here Is a Fantasy, Corinna Kirsch (archived)
Honest Art Talk (archive)
Hrag Vartanian (Now a personal website but a definite to check out – I love it and highly recommend)
Nayland Blake’s Livejournal (archived)
16 Miles of String Andrew Russeth
The Thinking Eye (archived)
Triangulation Blog (archived)
Unedit My Heart, Leah Sandals (archived)
The Wandering Printmaker, John Pyper (archived)
What I’m Seeing, Adam Lindemann (archived)
For more blogs, check: https://blog.feedspot.com/art_blogs/
Art in America Annual Guide to Museums Galleries Artists
The International Directory of Corporate Art Collections
American Art Directory
The Official Museum Directory
Flash Art Art Diary International
Art Gallery Guides (new!)
The Art Guide (new!)
Bad At Sports
Me Reading Stuff with Robyn O’Neil Me Reading Stuff Filmspotting
Modern Art Notes
Artists Helping Artists
Sound and Vision
A Piece of Work
Beyond the Studio
The Jealous Curator
Creative Pep Talk
And others: ArtistNetwork.com
I Like Your Work
On Professional Practice
- Louden, Sharon; Living and Sustaining a Creative Life: Essays by 40 Working Artists, Intellect Books, University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Louden, Sharon; The Artist as Culture Producer: Living and Sustaining a Creative Life, Intellect Books, University of Chicago Press, 2017.
- Bhandari, Heather Darcy; ART/WORK: Everything You Need to Know (and Do) As You Pursue Your Art Career, Free Press, 2009.
- Currey, Mason; Daily Rituals: How Artists Work, Knopf, 2013.
- Trigg, Sarah, Studio Life: Rituals, Collections, Tools, and Observations on the Artistic Process, Princeton Architectural Press, 2013.
- Bonansinga, Kate, Curating at the Edge, University of Texas Press Austin, 2014.
- Somerson, Roseanne and Hermano, Mara; The Art of Critical Making: Rhode Island School of Design on Creative Practice, Wiley, 2013.
- Paper Monument, As radical, as mother, as salad, as shelter: What should art institutions do now? 2018.
- Paper Monument; Draw It with Your Eyes Closed: The Art of the Art Assignment, n+1 Foundation, 2012.
- Paper Monument; I Like Your Work: Art and Etiquette, Paper Monument 2009-08-01, 2009.
- Liberatori, Ellen; Guide to Getting Arts Grants, Allworth Press, 2006.
- Annual Register of Grant Support, 41st ed., Medford, NJ; Information Today, Inc., 2008.
- Berryman, Gregg; Designing Creative Resumes; Thomson Learning, 2002.
- Lazzari, Margaret; The Practical Handbook for the Emerging Artist, Thomson Higher Education, 2002.
- Goodwin, Ariane; Writing the Artist Statement: Revealing the True Spirit of Your Work, Infinity Publishing, 2007.
- Grant, Daniel; The Business of Being an Artist, Allworth Press, 2015.
- Battenfield, Jackie; The Artist’s Guide: How to Make a Living Doing What You Love, Da Capo Press, 2009.
- Hoffman, Barbara; A Visual Artist’s Guide to Estate Planning, Wolf, Keens & Company, Inc., 1998.
- Velthuis, Olav; Talking Prices: Symbolic Meanings of Prices on the Market for Contemporary Art, Princeton University Press, 2005.
- Slaughter, Adele; Art that Pays: The Emerging Artist’s Guide to Making a Living, National Network for Artist Placement, 2004.
- Finkelpearl, Tom; Dialogues in Public Art, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Press, 2000.
- Goldstein, Barbara (Editor); Public Art by the Book, Americans for the Arts in association with the University of Washington Press, 2005.
- Basa, Lynn; The Artist’s Guide to Public Art, How to Find and Win Commissions, Allworth Press, 2008.
- Theories and Documents of Contemporary Art: A Sourcebook of Artists’ Writings (California Studies in the History of Art) (Paperback) by Kristine Stiles (Editor), Peter Selz (Editor)
- Theories of Modern Art A Source Book by Artists and Critics (California Studies in the History of Art) (Paperback) Herschel B. Chipp (Author)
- Interviews with American Artists (Hardcover) by David Sylvester (Author)
- Richards, Judith Olch (Editor); Inside the Studio: Two Decades of Talks with Artists in New York, Independent Curators International, 2004.
- Clapp, Anne; Curatorial Care of Works of Art on Paper: Basic Procedures for Paper Preservation, Lyons & Burford Publishers, 1987.
- Mayer, Ralph; The Painters Craft: An Introduction to Artists= Methods and Materials, Penguin Books, 1948.
- Morgenstern, Julie; Never Check E-Mail in the Morning: And Other Unexpected Strategies for Making Your Work Life Wor, Fireside, 2005.
- Covey, Stephen; The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Free Press (Revised), 2004.
General Employment/Job Listings
College Art Association
Chronicle of Higher Education
Art Deadlines List
Art Search (new!)
Getting Your Sh*t Together(new!)
Penland – Textiles Studio Coordinator Position opening
New York Foundation for the Arts Classified
The New York Public Library (list of job resources)
New York Times & Monster.com
Springboard for the Arts Job Board
Resources for Teachers
Alliance of Artist Communities
Association of American Educators
American Federation of Arts / NGA.Gov
Denver Art Museum Creativity Resource
Incredible Art Department
Materials for the Arts
For more information about museum education in NYC: New York City Museum Educators Roundtable (NYCMER)
Sources for Grants & Opportunities
Actors Fund (new!)
Art A to Z
Art Hoe Collective Microgrants (new!)
Artists’ Fellowship, Inc. (new!)
Arts and Culture Leaders of Color Emergency Fund (new!)
Austin Creative Alliance’s Artists Emergency Relief Fund (new!)
Authors League Fund (new!)
Black Art Futures Fund Emergency Grants (new!)
Canadian Women Artists’ Award (new!)
CERF+ Emergency Assistance (new!)
COVID-19 Artist Trust Relief Fund (new!)
Critical Minded COVID-19 Relief Grants for Cultural Critics from Underrepresented Communities (new!)
Joan Mitchel Foundation
New York Foundation for the Arts
Sustainable Arts Foundation (for artists w/ children)
Articles about Applying for Grants & Opportunities
For Socially-Engaged Artists
For more resources check out the ARTISTSTHRIVE.ORG list of resources.
Residencies / Exhibition Opportunities
Residency Search Engines:
AIR Fellowship programs
Atlantic Center for the Arts
Chautauqua Visual Arts
Container Artist Residency
Currier Museum of Art
Djerassi Resident Artists Program
The Edward F. Albee Foundation
Franconia Sculpture Park Residency (new!)
The Hambidge Center(new!)
Jerome Emerging Artist Residency at The Anderson Center (new!)
Kala (offers a program a fellowship for veterans)
The National Park Service
Penland School of Craft
Project for Empty Space
Shandaken Projects: Storm King
Vermont Studio Center
Wassaic Project (new!)
YBCA Fellowship (new!)
Residency Opportunities for Parents/Families
Fire Island Residency
Queer/Art (NYC based artists)
Eva Yaa Asantewaa Grant for Queer Women(+) (for movement based artists)
Robert Giard Grant for Emerging LGBTQ+ Photographers
Open Calls +
The American Federation of Arts (AFA) (new!)
Apex Art Curatorial, Exhibition (new!)
Franconia Sculpture Park Residency (new!)
Laura I. Gallery CIC Gallery focused on sales and mentorship (new!)
Superfine Art business resource
Visual AIDS Donation (new!)
Working Artist Org Purchase Award $1000 + microgranting (new!)
Art Connect (new!)
The 2021 COAL Prize (new!)
Grrl Haus Cinema call for response (new!)
CURRENTS Virtual festival (new!)
Create! Magazine (new!)
Babylon Arts Exhibition (new!)
Albe Art Gallery Exhibition (new!)
Freedom & Captivity digital resource (new!)
Freedom & Captivity Coalition Virtual exhibition & printed publication (new!)
AIR Exhibition (new!)
University of Connecticut Humanities Institute Fellowships (new!)
Austin Texas Artist Relief Grant (new!)
Calls for Public Art
Forecast Public Art Tool Kit
Call for Entry
Americans for the Arts Public Art Network Listserve
State Percent for Art Programs
City of Seattle: Office of Arts and Culture: Public Art
Public Art Research Archive and Web Links
City of Phoenix National Public Art Opportunities
Artist Registries & Online Portfolios
Saatchi Online Gallery (https://www.saatchiart.com)
White Columns artist registry
Alternative, Artist-Run Spaces
Icebox Project Space
Ortega y Gasset Projects
Sadie Halie Projects
Temporary Art Review
Tiger Strikes Asteroid
Vox Populi Gallery
General guidance regarding professional practice
AGetting your Sh*t Together: Tracking Software for Visual Artists@
Creative Capital workshops
Art Inventory Software Systems
Claris File Maker
Organization “The Abundent Artist” reviews Inventory Software
Artist Christine Wong Yap reviewed the best Art Inventory Data Software and this is what she said.
Recommended Shippers and Fine Art Transport
Archival Storage/Furniture/Storage Containers
Crating, Shipping, Moving, Packing, Storage of Artwork (in NYC)
Panels, Surfaces and Board Makers
Recommended Independent Contractors
Photography (NYC based)
Christopher Gallo, Professional Photographer
phone: (212) 268-1988
Copies, Scans, Booklets (NYC based)
9 Lispenard Street
New York, NY 10013-2208
phone: (212) 966-1423
Please inquire through our galleries at CVAGalleries@gmail.com.
Have more needs but you don’t see answers here? Let us know and we may be able to assist! Feel free to write us at email@example.com. Thank you!
Here are some awesome lists shared by generous individuals, foundations and institutions where you may be able to find what you need in one spot! Happy researching!
Free Coloring Pages for download by artist Nancy Blum (CVA exhibiting artist, Nature Redefined, 2016)
And we will add more to this list soon! Feel free to check back!
A few groups that may be of interest on Facebook:
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Want more Resources? Subscribe to our newsletter where we share opportunities, events and more!